Reddit has gone from harboring 40% of the Internet’s dipsh#ts to a mind-boggling 90%.
There is literally no thread that doesn’t contain a reference to misandry or reverse-racism, a homophobic epithet, or someone complaining about how hard it is to be a straight white dude. Roughly 3/4 of threads contain a racial slur. At least half contain a rape joke, and every rape joke is followed up by at least two comments about misandry and men’s rights.
The r/trading sub-reddit is a ghost town without the congenial moderation of LOL Trader. He was actually a real trader!
Moving on to the bulk of Reddit Proper
The sad state of r/socialism
The r/socialism sub-reddit is full of Libertarians who loathe central planning. I should hunt for an r/marxism sub-reddit, but doubt that one exists.
None of the moderators on r/socialism have been active for the past three years. There are a few bona fide Socialist redditors on r/socialism, but they get voted down by the Libertarians.
The counter-intuitive state of r/conservatives
The r/conservatives sub-reddit is more open-minded about womens’ right to abortion (and EVERYONE’s right to religious freedom!) than much of the rest of Reddit. What is up with THAT?
I thought Reddit was an easy-going place, in general. Wrong!
Of course, that is contradictory too: Libertarians are supposed to be live-and-let-live, I thought. No, not on r/libertarian Reddit! Instead, they are:
- ardently pro-life but against population growth
- rarely have a good word to say about women (or men)
- are intolerant of the practice of any religion, be it monotheist, pantheist or pagan
- don’t like legal authority or law enforcement
- disapprove of firearms and Second Amendment rights
- are indifferent to immigrants
- dislike the military (any military)
- are deeply distrustful of food and safety laws and the Centers for Disease Control.
That last item is big government, you know.
It so bizarre.